Monday, January 18, 2010

Tap, Tap, Tap on the Sidewalk

As I was preparing to turn from Douglas onto Rock Island next to the Wichita Eagle building on the way to work this morning...this gray, chilly, fog-shrouded morning...I saw a man just finish crossing Rock Island and reach the sidewalk, heading west.

He had on dark sunglasses, a battered navy blue hat, what looked like faded overalls and well-worn shoes. And he had a cane with him, which told me the sunglasses were more than just an affectation.

With my radio turned off, and the federal holiday making for sparse traffic downtown, I could hear him making his way down the sidewalk.

Tap. Tap. Tap. Tap. Tap.

He strode with the purposefulness of someone who long ago grew used to letting his cane lead the way. He did not look down or appear uncertain.

I found myself wondering what he could "see" that those of us with sight miss. His answers, I'm sure, would be profound.

No comments:

Post a Comment