Sunday, January 17, 2010

Ray and Fay

Thursday was the birthday for the other set of twins in the class of '79 at Pawnee Heights. I found myself wondering (perhaps for the first time, remarkably) what the odds are for a class of 28 students to have two sets of twins in it...and how many other classes of that size had two sets of twins in it.

Ray and Fay were two of the nicest people you could meet anywhere. Yes, they were shy, but (like most shy people) once they felt comfortable with you they opened up.

They both still live out in central Kansas; in fact, I think Ray now lives in the house where he grew up. Fay teaches at our old high school. She admitted to me the summer before she started that job that she feared it would be too strange to teach there after having matriculated there, but she told me late in that school year that it had gone well.

Ironically, their mother and my father dated for a while in high school, and Mom has told me more than once that after she met Dad she was convinced those two would marry and she'd never have a chance to date him. Obviously, things worked out differently.

I've never asked Ray and Fay if they have the uniquely strong connection many twins have. Heck, I'm not sure if Steve and I have it, although we do seem to be able to get more said with fewer words than most people. It's as if we know what the other will say even before they say it, and we just advance the conversation accordingly.

But more on that another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment