Monday, January 11, 2010

A bookstore closes

Any time a bookstore closes, I feel a sense of sadness. One more outpost for the intellect, one more corner of creativity, slides into the abyss.

Granted, this was a Waldenbooks tucked into a corner of a large shopping mall - not exactly The Little Bookstore Around the Corner swallowed by the massive bookstore chains. Perhaps that's why my sense of disappointment quickly gave way to the bargain hunter in me when I saw the signs announcing that everything in the store was 50% to 70% off.

So after getting a couple of laps in around the interior of the mall as per my physical therapy instructions, I started ruminatin' over what remained on the well-picked-over bookshelves. About 20 minutes later, I walked out with seven selections. Mind you, I fought off the temptation to nab a half-dozen more.

My choices:

Rain Gods, by James Lee Burke

Burke was my creative writing prof at Wichita State University in the spring of 1980, and he's become a world-class novelist. I'll pick up anything he writes, because he writes with such grace and power. Some of his passages are positively lyrical, and reading him seems to encourage me to turn loose of the reins in my own writing, and let the muse gallop.

*****

Last Night in Twisted River, by John Irving

I've heard strong reviews for Irving's latest novel. It joins two other Irving books on my shelf: The Cider House Rules and The World According to Garp. Both of those books have garnered wide acclaim, though both rambled endlessly at times and left me feeling disatisfied at the end. Still, I'll give a man considered by many a literary giant of the 20th Century another go - especially at 50% off.

*****

The Given Day,
by Dennis Lehane

I'm not familiar with the author, but the premise of the book - two families grappling with a changing America just after the end of World War I - intrigued me.


*****

Gilead,
by Marilynne Robinson

It won the Pulitzer Prize. I want to see why.


*****

Light from Heaven,
by Jan Karon

The finale of the beloved At Home in Mitford series. I've gotten most, if not all, of those books for Mom, so it was a no-brainer to add this one to her collection. I've been told by some who have read my fiction novel that it compares favorably to Karon's works. Given how well the Mitford series has done, that's high praise.


*****

The Abstinence Teacher, by Tom Perotta

I've read some of Perotta's essays, and I was intrigued by the plot of this book. Again, at 50% off, I thought, "Why not?"


*****

The Scarpetta Factor,
by Patricia Cornwell

I have a couple of Cornwell books in my collection at home, and liked the premise for this book, if for no other reason than I've found myself interviewed by national media types in connection with major breaking stories as well (as the main character apparently is in this book, according to the dust jacket).


And there you have it. Of course, now I need to figure out how to make room for them on my bookshelves, which are overflowing as it is. But that's a task for another day.

3 comments:

  1. The only John Irving I've ever read was "A Prayer for Owen Meany." It was, honestly, a damn good book. I can see the problem of "rambling," but the structure more than made up for it. I tried to read CHR, but I got bored.
    So now you know that much more about me. Giggles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a huge fan of Perotta. Election was excellent, as was The Abstinence Teacher. Don't know if it's your type of book, but I liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gilead was interesting. Robinson's style in this book suits the temperament and times of the main character, a retired preacher nearing the end of his life--slow, measured, deliberate. It took me a while to settle into the book because I didn't realize at first what she was doing. It's a good book to read if you want to slow down for a bit. It's also interesting to read as a Kansan because it's set in Iowa and refers to Bloody Kansas in the 1860's (though not in so many words). Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete