Sunday, April 5, 2009

Job description

I've been working on my taxes this weekend, and when I came to the line that said "profession," I had to smile.

The correct answer is journalist and author.

But in my heart of hearts, I'm a builder. A builder of relationships. Of stories. I love to get to know people....and get to know people better over time....with each conversation, each get-together, each gathering a new layer, a new chapter.

My favorite stories have substance, depth...and leave people saying or thinking, "I'm glad I read that."

But you can't fit all of that on one line.

2 comments:

  1. You will never fit on one line. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is true satisfaction when you leave people thinking, "I'm glad I read that."

    Equally satisfying is knowing you've found the right words to accurately paint that picture. It's a skill many take for granted.

    ReplyDelete