Monday, February 23, 2009

Whatcha giving up for Lent?

When I was a kid, it was usually something basic like chocolate and ice cream. Sounds easy, but it was always a struggle. Not that we ate much chocolate or ice cream out on the farm. There wasn’t much money for such “luxuries.”

It was probably as much the hungering for the unattainable that made those forbidden foods so desirable.

I have changed my sacrifices as I’ve gotten older. Giving up ice cream and chocolate won’t make me a better person 40 days from now. Interior changes are more significant for me --- sacrifices that will help me grow not just in my faith but in how I handle the day-to-day challenges of life.

My list of Lenten observances reflects that focus: I’m going to try to pray the rosary every day, spend time in an adoration chapel each week, and strive for quiet time more consistently.

The rosary is one of – if not THE – most revered devotional prayer in the Catholic Church. It’s not hard for me to see why. As you reflect on the “mysteries” that are part of the prayers and repeat the Hail Marys and the Lord’s Prayer, you can’t help but quiet down within and be filled with peace.

I’ve always found the adoration chapel to be a special place…it’s as if the room is flooded with peace. Frankly, I should spend more time there for my own spiritual nourishment and peace of mind.

If I can be consistent with those goals this Lenten season, I’m utterly confident that I’ll emerge from these 40 days as a better person. And isn’t that what Lent is all about?

1 comment:

  1. Very cool, Stan! I gave up meat, with the exception of fish on Fridays. So far, so good!

    ReplyDelete