Sunday, February 1, 2009

Super Bore

I just can't get excited about this year's Super Bowl. Oh, it's charming that the lowly Arizona Cardinals have finally made it to the Big Game. But they struggled to sell out their first playoff game, and struggle to sell out their home games (unless it's the Cowboys or Broncos or some other team with a strong fan base that travels well). Cardinals Fever? They can't even work up a decent sweat. I'm sure that has something to do with the fact that so many Arizonans came from elsewhere and brought their loyalties with them. That's an issue for Florida teams as well.

The game itself doesn't enthuse me, either. No game without Denver does. But it goes beyond that. A top-notch QB, an erratic run game, a mediocre defense that comes up with turnovers now and then - I'm having flashbacks to the Denver teams that went to the Super Bowl with John Elway and lost 39-20, 42-10 and 55-10.

I'd love it if the Cardinals would win, but it's not going to happen. So I'll just enjoy the commercials and the camaraderie and whatever food we come up with.

And hope it won't be long before the Broncos return....

No comments:

Post a Comment