Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Inauguration Day

"When I was a boy, I was told that anybody could become president. I'm beginning to believe it."
Clarence Darrow (1857-1938)



Nearly 2 million people jammed the Capitol today to watch the inauguration of America's first minority president. Along the way, he beat back a stiff challenge from a woman candidate. In fact, I suspect that if Hillary Clinton had won the Democratic nomination for president, she would have been taking the oath of office today - such was the level of disgruntlement with the Bush administration.

Today felt anti-climactic for me, and conversation with a friend over lunch helped bring into focus why: I have always judged a person by the content of their character, not the color of their skin. Why not a minority President, if they are the best candidate? Or a woman President, for that matter?

But I know that stance is far from universal. Take, for instance, these words from a letter to the editor in today's Wichita Eagle: "Much has been written about the inaugural celebrations. However, since this is coincident with the death of America as the Founding Fathers envisioned it and with the way many of us remember it, please tell us where the wakes will be held."

Excuse me? The Founding Fathers signed a declaration of independence that began with the words, "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

"All men are created equal."

If nothing else, today's inauguration is the long-overdue fulfillment of those words.

1 comment:

  1. Insightful. I was a bit irritated with the media when I saw how much the race factor was being played up. Yes, we've overcome some huge social barriers, but like you said; we voted that Obama was the best candidate and he has huge responsibilities as President of our country. Shouldn't we be focusing on that? To me, acknowledging the race factor and then not dwelling on it would speak volumes.

    ReplyDelete