Wednesday, September 7, 2011

This "courting candle" has won my heart

It arrived as a gift from a friend of mine who is an accomplished cook.

A rather large, hefty box, and I was genuinely disappointed when it wasn't an assortment of treats she'd crafted in the kitchen.

It was, instead, this odd-looking contraption that resembled a lariat wrapped around a metal stand. Except the "lariat" wasn't strands of rope --- it was wax.

Google called it a "courting candle," which made for a few good-natured teases of my flustered friend. Back in the Middle Ages, candles such as this were used by a parent to time how long suitors could spend with their daughters. The "rope candle" was pulled through a clip, and the flame would burn down to the metal clasp and die out. Favored fellas were given more time. Unsatisfactory souls were given "the short end of the stick."




I had no such challenges facing me. But beeswax, my benevolent gift-bearer informed me, helps quell allergies. And I am entirely too familiar with allergies.

She loves her beeswax candles, and thought I'd appreciate them as well. She was right. When I'm feeling particularly irritated by the air on a given day, I pull up a longer stretch of the candle. If it hasn't been a bad day, I go with a shorter portion. The candles I have seem to have an aroma resembling vanilla ---- not pungent, not unpleasant. Just fine, thank you very much.

If anything, these candles are courting my nose. And I've learned a thing or three about them over the past several months. If you don't clear some space for the wick before you light it, you might need two or three matches to get the flame to take hold. Cupping your hands around the tiny wisp of flame in its early moments seems to help it take hold.

And until you hear the flame crackle, you don't know for sure that the flame won't die. Why that is, I have no idea. I've just learned that's how this candle seems to work. And darned if that clip that holds the rope candle in place doesn't also put it out. I guess by choking off the fuel supply for the flame.

I'm usually nodding off by the time the flame goes out, so it's a good thing the candle is self-extinguishing.....though subconsciously I must admit I don't fall asleep before the candle is out.

Give it a try sometime ---- you may find your heart....or your nose....won over by these unique candles.

No comments:

Post a Comment