Sunday, January 16, 2011

Twins

I just finished watching a Dutch film called "Twin Sisters," chronicaling the lives of twins separated at a young age after their father's death in Holland in the 1920s. One goes with relatives to Germany, the other to relatives in Holland.

As you can expect, they lived very different lives over the next several decades --- differences that wrenched them apart for most of their lives even after they had opportunities to reconnect. It was food for thought about the bonds of families - even of twins....something I'm conscious of, being a twin myself.

As a twin, you want to have your own identity...yet you are also aware that there's someone out there with whom you are closer - in ways that can be difficult to describe - than you are to almost anyone else.

Even if you're fraternal twins, such as I am with my brother.

I guess it comes down to striking a balance. Cherishing that connection while still living our own lives - thankfully in much less harrowing circumstances than these cinematic siblings.

No comments:

Post a Comment