Sunday, August 14, 2011

Rocco Palmo talks about why he started the blog "Whispers in the Loggia"

Who, you may ask, is Rocco Palmo? It's a fair question, and one I asked myself when the media liaison for the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops suggested I talk to him for a story I was working on a story earlier this year about why so many priests from the Wichita diocese have been named bishops in recent years.

Palmo has a blog called Whispers in the Loggia, which takes a look at developments and issues within the Catholic Church. He was, indeed, a fascinating interview for my story. Trusted friends in the Church have told me some regard his blog as glorified gossip, and thus should be approached guardedly. But I still found it telling that the USCCB official respected Palmo and his blog enough to point me to them.

This television interview offers a glimpse of Palmo's personality and motivations for launching the blog. Watching it reminded me of my lengthy interview (and fact-checking call after the story was written). He's passionate and articulate about the Church and being Catholic, and for that I'll tip my hat.





No comments:

Post a Comment