Thursday, April 14, 2011

Want to know why I pay so much attention to tornado threats?

Even though I frequently write about and have a fascination with tornadoes, I root against their development. I've climbed through too many piles of rubble, talked to too many victims (or their grieving loved ones) to feel any other way.

Tornadotainment has become big business on the cable networks, and it chews at me to see people cheer when monster tornadoes form. Here are a couple of videos shot of the Mapleton, Iowa, tornado last week that help illustrate why I'm relieved when threatening skies don't produce twisters....

And, yes, I was thrilled when the mushroom clouds of supercell thunderstorms fired up just east of Wichita this afternoon, meaning the city was spared from the threat of tornadoes on what was shaping up to be a violent day and night.

May everyone in Tornado Alley be spared the wrath of these storms.

No comments:

Post a Comment