Thursday, May 7, 2009

A tip of the hat to spring

Spring has finally arrived here in southern Kansas.

How do I know? Today was the first time I wore a straw fedora to work. It's strictly warm-weather apparel.

I have more than a half-dozen hats, most of them made of felt. Almost all of them are fedoras, because I love the classic look of them.

They've become a personal trademark, though that wasn't my intent when I bought my first one more than 20 years ago. I just wanted a stylish way to keep my head warm in the fall and winter. Then, of course, I needed something to shield my face from the merciless summer sun. That's where the straw fedoras stepped in.

Oh, I have other hats for summer labor, including one I call my Aussie outback hat. The "breezer," which has a mesh crown to allow air to keep your head cool, is another warm-weather favorite.

Hopefully I won't have to buy any for a while, because I already fill a couple of hat racks with my horde of haberdashery.

1 comment:

  1. I love hats. I think you are taking good steps on the Campaign to Bring Back the Daily Wearing of Hats, one which I support but have yet to participate in.

    New fashion goal for me: find a hat.

    ReplyDelete